The End Comes to Battery. "Chicago", 60th Coastal Artillery


Subject: Narrative Report of Action
To: C.O 60th CA (AA)

1. The following narrative report of action for "Chicago" (Battery C. 60th CAC (AA) covering the period 6.00 pm May 5 1942 to 12.00 noon May 6 1942 is submitted.

The Battery Commander, Captain G.R Ames, the Range Officer, 1st Lt. B.F.Humphrey and the Asst. Range Officer 2nd Lt. J.A Phillips (Air Corps attached) had left the battery to visit Malinta Tunnel on official business shortly before 6pm. 1st Lt. Thomas H Fortney (Battery Executive) and 2nd Lt. Yancey B Chaney were present at Morrison Hill. All enlisted personnel, except detailed, hospitalized, etc were present.

In accordance with instruction issued by Capt. Ames prior to his departure, the battery was employed in the repair of splinterproofs and improving the other protective measures in the battery area. Emphasis   this night was put on the reveting of the ventilation shaft in Chicago's   Tunnel and on
approach trench thereto. Work was started at nightfall and continued until moonlight became very strong about 10:00pm. Intermittent enemy artillery for about 15 minutes each hour had been falling in the area. The Catholic Chaplain Capt. Baumann, 91st CA (PS) was in the battery. He held confession in the evening and Mass at midnight. Catholic personnel were released to attend. A light midnight lunch was served the battery.

While midnight Mass was still in progress, a message was received at Chicago CP command post informing the battery that an enemy landing had been made near the eastern end of the island but had been repulsed. Orders were also received at the same time from 1st RTN C.P "Cambric"  to standby. Prepared to man local defense positions - foxhole and ground machine guns. The equipment and ammunition were checked and the men told to get as much sleep as possible. About 4.00 am a double serving of hot breakfast was served.

The original of this document is lost to history.  Fortunately a photostat copy has survived. Parts of the photostat were illegible, and in this text are marked by square brackets.

The document's author,  Capt Ames was a P.O.W.   at Cabanatuan Camp No 1.  The original document itself was buried at Cabanatuan when Capt. Ames was selected to go to Japan.  He was on the ill-fated Oryuku Maru/Enoura Maru/Brazil Maru journey, and was one of the few who made it to Japan -   but he died two days after arrival in Muji.

Article contributed by
John Lindgren.


About 4.30 am orders were received from Cambric to man local defense positions. Lt. Fortney and Lt. Chaney [illegible, possible "ordered"] the men into their foxholes and machine gun positions. Lt. Fortney then returned to the Chicago CP where he could have telephone contact with Cambric and other headquarters. Orders were issued to the men in local defense positions to maintain contact between foxholes and attempt to establish contact with Marines on the right and left. Local defense plans called for Marines to occupy positions adjoining Chicago when situation called for Chicago to occupy local defense lines. No contact with Marine troops could be established. As day broke it was evident that no Japanese were between Chicago lines and the still intact water's edge from which the Marines had not withdrawn.

About daybreak an intense enemy artillery barrage fell directly on Chicago lines. About 15 minutes later Sgt G.C Smith (MG section leader) reported that shells were falling directly on the foxholes, that a number of men were injured. Lt Fortney issues orders to withdraw the men from the foxholes lines and called Cambric 1 [?] telling him of the section taken. Col Breitung [was he "Cambric"?' okayed the withdrawal and issued orders to keep the men under cover until further orders. Withdrawal was made about 6:00 am. An ambulance was called for. Telephone communication was broken by enemy action about 6:30am. Communications set out to find trouble and repair lines. Repairs completed about 8:00pm. Dive bombers were overheard almost continually and two or three heavy bombers passed over bombing Corregidor.

At about 11:00am a message substantially as follows was received from Cambric "Enemy shell fire will cease at 12 noon. You have until then to destroy your equipment". Clarification of the order could not be obtained. Orders were interpreted to mean 'Surrender imminent destroy your equipment". Demolition crews were asked to work at once. Director and power plant were thoroughly dynamited. Fragile parts of the guns [first two words illegible "in cables, etc"] were smashed. Firing locks were scrapped off and flung away. Dynamite was set off in the chamber of each gun. Ht Finder position was already put out of action by shell fire and  [illegible] ordnance.

Repair Shop. All telephone communications failed again about 12:15am [illegible words possible "Battery remained"] under cover until noon. Then allowed to [illegible word] Class C rations and prepare pack for departure. Battery was marched to Middleside Tunnel about 1.00pm where it was later surrendered along with other troops in that tunnel.

The following seven were casualties during that period: 

Sgt. G.C. Smith, shell fragment wound, not too serious.
PFC N.C Thompson, same as Smith.
PFC C.W Sumrow, shell fragment wound, serious, hospitalized.
Pvt. E.D Stanfill same as Sumrow.
OFC S. House shell fragment wound, not too serious.
Pvt. R. Shook, killed by direct shell hit.

The above information was obtained by interview of Lt. H. Fortney and numerous enlisted men of battery conducted by the undersigned. Narrative is as accurate as possible.

2.   Capt. Ames Lt. Humphrey and Lt. Phillips were caught in Malinta tunnel by the Japanese assault on Corregidor. Circumstances prevented their return to Chicago prior to the evacuation of Morrison Hill by Chicago. These circumstances are discussed in a separate report.

Godfrey R. Ames

Capt. 60th CAC (AAO)

Commanding Battery C 60th CAC AAO


 CD Version 26-10-10  BACK TO TOP




This article is originally via Ms. Karol Ames, the daughter of the late Capt. Godfrey R Ames, Co. Battery C (Chicago), 80th CAC and appears in an ADBC Newsletter February 1994 ((Andrew Miller, Historian.)  

Karol Ames was born on Corregidor on March 18, 1940 and along with other dependants of the garrison, was sent back to the U.S. before the war started.


streamer.gif (1032 bytes)

  The So Called Battle of Morrison Hill - the way it wasn't!

streamer.gif (1032 bytes)