The Alden was commissioned in 1919 as one of the many Clemson-class
destroyers built after the First World War and the last of the
"four-stacker" flush-deck type; After spending most of its
time in the Adriatic, she was decommissioned in 1923 until 1930. In
1936, Alden arrived in Chefoo. The Sino-Japanese conflict saw
the Alden accompany other ships of the Asiatic Fleet on a "goodwill
visit" to the Russia's Pacific port of Vladivostok -- the
first official visit since the U.S. had established diplomatic
relations with the USSR.
Stationed in Manila in late 1937, Alden
normally spent spring in China, summer in Chefoo, and a return to
Cavite for exercises and upkeep during fall and winter.
outbreak of the war saw her joining a Royal Navy task force out of
Singapore. She survived the war and was decommissioned in June 1945.