|No. Guns||Cal.||Type||Troop||Range Yards|
Two "Panama Mounts" built wartime and named in honor of 1st Lt. George E. Levagood, Assistant Executive Officer of anti-aircraft Battery Denver, who was killed in action in April 1942.
So called because they were first designed at the Panama Canal Zone and were intended for temporary emplacement od 155mm M1917/M1018 GPF tractor-drawn field artillery guns, Panama mounts permitted permitted rapid traverse through a full 360 degrees when firing at moving targets at sea.
Battery Levagood's two mounts are the only emplacements of their type still intact on Corregidor. The GPF ("Grande Puissance, Filloux") gun was of French WWI design and could fire a 95 lb. (43 kg) shell 20,000 yards (11.4 miles or 18.3 km) at a maximum rate of fire of 4 rounds per minute.
The battery was manned by Battery D, 92nd Coast artillery under Capt. Fred E. Rose. The guns were pulled out and used elsewhere as "roving guns" named "Battery Rose" before they could be fired from their Levagood position.