[with commentary by Bill Calhoun]


Army Regulations required that each and every day, even during Combat operations, reports must issue from each infantry company, artillery battery and all other basic units, to higher headquarters.  Though not always accurate, they were at least contemporaneous.

We are fortunate too that in this instance, some of the Journal Reports are mercifully free of Army-speak, and thus are readable as a narrative. They provide a both a good view of the Corregidor operation  to the casual reader, and vital information for the more serious historian.  




2d Bn HQ Company Journal

16 February 1945





Our tents have been pitched and we had no reveille or for that matter breakfast, we had been issued 4 meals of K rations starting at noon today and for breakfast someone had the brilliant idea of giving flour. It was a bright sunny morning and hot. By 0930 we had folded and stacked cots and, naturally, policed the area, then we mounted trucks and rode out to the air strip. In very orderly fashion, we got in our planes. The  men looked happy and neither nervous or uneasy. At 1225 we took off.


Take off time is wrong. RCT S-3 journal gives take off time as 11:30 and the company histories generally agree, as does Calhoun's diary

    Flying time one hour and 5 minutes.. Our company jumped on two fields—three passes over each. We had at least 24 to 27 men in each plane and two bundles. There was  a north wind blowing to the tune of 16 knots. We jumped right into small arms fire at all places except the parade ground. Assembling was a difficult task. Even now at 1820 we two or three unaccounted for. We know of 22 casualties, but we were lucky. I believe it was the worst jump of any airborne operation. There is still firing going on around us. The Japs have some pill boxes on the perimeter which we must knock out.
    Some of us ate K rations—the boys of the 3rd L.M.G. Platoon barbecued a chicken. At 1930 it was dark.—blackout, no lights, no fires. Our disposition at the time was – Co, C.P. set up in barracks. 3rd L.M.G. on perimeter, 2nd L.M.G. with “D” Co, 1st L.m.g. with E Co. The mortar platoon had only one complete mortar so they set up just outside the barracks. We found a lot of T shirts, bed spreads, towels, etc. which we used for sleeping—sleeping, no one got much sleep. There was sporadic firing going on all night—on all sides between a platoon of “E” Co. and the Japs who had come up through the night. Facing north to our left front was a pill box and entrance to a tunnel. Our perimeter faced directly to it. We opened up on it and started a fire. For one hour and a half it burned steadily with huge detonations. Anything in that tunnel is well roasted by now.



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

17 February 1945



At about 0830, our resupply planes came over with the intention of dropping bundles the bundles in the parade ground. Many of them went in the low area to the south near the pillbox of the Japs. There was a scramble to the bundles—by our boys and the Japs. both. Firing went on all over the parade ground. A combat team was made up to go after these pill boxes. We used point blank artillery in addition in addition to bazookas and flame throwers. It is quiet down there now — they’re closing in.

Our latest count hospitalized casualties is 29 and two men missing. It looks like there’ll be a record a record high on jump casualties as we contact all platoon leaders, we’ll get a more complete report. I hope they recover some water in those bundles. We’re getting mighty low. We heard the seaborne landing had been made but as of yet we’ve made no contact. We also heard an LSM had come in with water but until contact is established we can’t get it here. There is still firing going on all around. The Nips have ways of getting around that we don’t know about. But I think it will be a lot more quiet tonight.

At 1200 we’re clearing away debris to set up a Co. C.P.

We heard that the 1st Bn was coming in by water — they were ordered not to  jump due to the high rate of jump casualties in the 2nd and 3rd Bns. As we understand it they landed at Nielson Field and then went aboard LSM’s to come in. There was quite a bit of gunfire at the beach at 1400 when they did come in. They were getting a hot reception with mg fire. Four P-47’s came in to strafe the Japs who were firing at them.

At about 1420, lo and behold, a tank came through from the beach [the M-7 self propelled 105 with the 34th Inf.] with the news that the road was being cleared by bulldozers.

At 1500 we sent our 3rd L.m.g. Platoon with “D” Co. to clean out 3 pill boxes on our south. There had been an attack on it about 1200 hrs. unsuccessful. [Campbell and Binegar were killed earlier than this . attack? ] There was quite a battle there and they cleared up one of the strong points, Fortunately we had no casualties (LMG plat). We employed our 81mm one mortar on it— with some darn accurate shooting.

[Strange that those of us at 28-D didn’t know of any mortar fire. They did try to get some 75mm howitzer fire on the battery, but the trajectory of the guns’ located on the parade grounds carried over the battery and into the sea].

At 1700 hr we were given 25 gallons of water which which was not quite enough to give one canteen per man. Except for little bits of fire — not much happened till dark.

One of our missing men turned up — he had been pinned down by small arms fire on his jump but came out o.k. That leaves one man still missing in action — Pfc Guidice.

At about 1700 we [?] 

All our m.g. platoons and mortars are out on perimeter tonight. The firing started at dark and kept up all thru the night.





2d Bn HQ Company Journal

18 February 1945



18 Feb

 About 0230 the pill  box on the south that had been worked over, blew up in flames, burning for about half an hour. About 0300 from out east we heard cries that sounded like a Jap banzai charge — probably near those seaborne troops. In connection with same there was much firing.

At dawn all was quiet. Our 3rd L.m.g. Platoon came back from perimeter — they had done some firing and claimed a few Nips to their credit. With the little water we had left we made some coffee and drew two  K rations per man. The  best estimate we could get out men in of the hospital was 36.

Lt. Lee was transferred to “F” Co. due to their having only two left. Lt. MacKenzie assumed command of 3rd L.m.g. Platoon.

This morning a patrol “E” Co., with some of our machine guns went after infantry dugouts on the north shore. They were assisted by Navy shelling and some 75’s from our artillery. The remaining pill boxes on our north were shelled—quiet a bit of our artillery firing.

Pfc Guidice, previously missing in action, was reported brought in killed, our first.

At 1130 we  were issued 5 cans of water — enough for 1 canteen cup per man. The S-4 says that all for today — I hope he’s wrong. They’re starting to evacuate some of the  hospital cases to the beach. The Nips have been identified as marines.

Afternoon passed by more quietly than yesterday. “E” Company patrol lost 3 killed and 3 casualties in their patrols.

[Joe Whitson’s 1st platoon moved down into James Ravine seeking the control station for the electric controls of the mines in the North Channel].

One of our machine gun men was shot in the same action. From reports they had encountered 35-40 Nips. I guess, they’ll go back tomorrow. Later in the afternoon there was considerable machine gun firing .

The official report that the reg’t. had accounted for 900 but our losses are bigger than usual—125 casualties in the battalion. With first battalion in tonight, we should have a tighter perimeter. At 1810, the 3rd Lmg came in for more ammo — they picked off several Japs trying to filter through. They’ll probably see some action tonight.




2d Bn HQ Company Journal

19 February 1945


Morning of the 19th There was plenty of action tonight — more than we’d like to see again. The early morning hours had plenty of sporadic firing all around. About 0230 there was a tremendous detonation that shook the whole island — we suspected that it came from Breakwater Point and that it was a Nip dump. From that time on there was no sleep, firing opened up from 360 degrees. The 1st Bn covering the south was strongly attacked and so was the rest of the perimeter.

[The attack here was against a squad of D Co.’s 1st plt., mortar plt., and one squad of their 2nd plt. C Co. occupied Btry Wheeler and lost S/Sgt Herbert F. Thomas was shot by his own men who mistook him for a Jap. Read John Lindgren’s account in BEA. Small wonder that many of the company officers in the battalions wondered if the staffs knew there was a war going on. They seldom got out and exposed themselves. I suppose by perimeter, they mean a local perimeter around the 59th CA barracks. There certainly was none around the regimental position].

The little yellow men started infiltration into the parade ground. Shots were fired through the C.P.— it was still dark. Everyone was up and in position for the expected attack. A few mortar shots landed just about 10 yards to the north of our barracks. There were hand grenades being thrown from the south. We had no way of knowing how many there were — pitch dark and gunfire all around. Our own men on the other side of the parade ground — some of our own artillery were in the middle of the parade ground — we darn sure couldn’t fire unless we were sure of our target. These Nips marines wore green coveralls similar to our own; its difficult to distinguish them at 50 yds.                                         


  Dawn was breaking (for that we were very thankful) and that’s when the Nips started withdrawing. We saw a dead Jap ten yards in front of our barracks (south). He had flung a few grenades into the Bn. C.P., injuring four S-2 men. He must have been ready to throw another when he was shot; his right arm was blown off.

There was still plenty of firing—mostly to the west of us in the valley. The Japs had fixed a strong point in two concrete houses at the south end of this valley.

At 0900 plans were being made for attacks on strong points. Help was being secured from air corps and navy.

Right now at 1050 hour there are concentrated fire on Breakwater Pt. And to the south around Geary and Searchlight Pt. Our casualties have been heavy—the regiment is so short of men that we can’t hold positions that we take. It seems that we can’t fill our positions we take.

[When D and F Companies are placed 1,000 yards apart, and the right flank is open to Topside, I believe those choosing the positions must be held responsible, and this is just one side.]

We could use some replacements — and quick. Reports came in that Pfc Robert Dunn was killed on D company perimeter — also that two new men were seriously wounded. The  “D” company resume of our actions since we're on the island would run something lie this — we take some positions during the day, withdraw, the Nips reoccupy them at night and the next day we’re fighting for them again.

At 1110, right now, there’s just sporadic firing mostly to the northwest this has been a hectic day. There's a good, solid war going on here in Corregdor all by itself.  There have been attacks all day long. This is the first five minutes it has been quiet — no, there goes some dome firing again. There were Japs found all over the area in hiding. They wouldn’t open fire against a single Yank — they’d wait for a group. About 1650 they opened up from the tunnels we blew up yesterday with two machine guns—and they really bounced the bullets off our C.P.

I repeat we just don’t have enough men to hold what we take during the day. They turn up again in places they were flushed out.

About 1750 another ammo dump blew up — we don’t know the cause. Our losses have been terrific. “D” Company had 25 casualties during the night. Three of them were from our 2nd L.M.G. Platoon. They were completely surrounded and had  a tough night—grusome, I should say. Our perimeter will be a little tighter tonight. The break thru that came through the 1st Bn. chewed up one of their companies.

[D Company chewed up the Japs on the SW -consider the large number of bodies D Co. threw over the cliffs at Wheeler Point as well as the unknown number that got past Btry. Hearn in the darkness].

Three prisoners were taken today and from different people I gathered that their story was something like this — there were five thousand of them on the island. (I know there less than that now).

[We are yet to discover that there are still 3-4 thousand more to be dealt with].

They have enough ammo and food for three and a half years. Sounds pretty permanent. One of them said said they were intending to storm this place tonight with 1,000 men

[This news is 24 hours late].

If it’s true let ‘em come. We’ll get it over in one big banzai. It’s quiet again, no I’m wrong . I’ll close down for the night.






2d Bn HQ Company Journal

20 February 1945



The expected banzai didn’t come off, and nobody was sorry because they got a chance for a few hours sleep. But there was plenty of noise.

About 1930 there was a detonation and the whole barracks shook. Some thought it was an earthquake. We discovered later that, on the information of one of the prisoners, the  navy  [writer does not like to capitalize other services] exploded over a ton of mines planted in the channel between the mainland and Corregidor.

Just before dark there was some small arms fire and all through the night just occasional machine gun fire. I think the Japs were confused by our new perimeter — if they had tried to break thru last night, Nips would have been all over the field

[Our command never conceded that the 500 or 600 killed by F Co and that many, or more, killed by D Company the night before broke the back of organized Japanese resistance. I doubt if they realized it. I believe Bill Bailey’s statement stating that the up stairs candle power of our leaders was suspect].

We put out harassing fire all night. 75 Howitzers, 81mm mortar, and even 40mm. were firing all night. Even the PT boats moved in and shelled the infantry barracks at Morrison Point. Today there’s more plans for holing up the tunnels with heavy fire by our heavy weapons the navy and I think the air corps.

[I suppose “…weapons of the…”].



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

21 February 1945



 This is the first morning that I have to think of something to write. Yesterday was the quietest day for our infantry troops. All day long there was harassing fire by howitzers, and some navy shelling at the tunnels on the coast. In the afternoon, E co. went down and closed up about 15 tunnels that had been blasted. Otherwise the day passed uneventfully.

Toward evening we started taking up the same perimeter — it had worked out swell the night before and it worked again last night. There was, however, more harassing fire than before. Howitzers and mortar shells were thrown out all night long. There was almost no small arms fire at our C.P.

This morning started off with the mortars throwing out lots of ammo while E Co. moved in to take the next ridge at the N.W. corner corner of the island.

I think the general plan today is for our battalion to work down and clear the west end, E Co. on the north, F Co. down the middle, and D Company on the south, With the help of artillery and naval fire they expect to meet and thus will we’ll occupy this whole end of the island. But we can’t possibly man it by night — so if there are still Nips at night they can move in again at night, so we’ve got the same job.

[Results did not bear this out. When E Co. cleared out James Ravine it stayed clear. Same for F Co. and Grubbs Ravine, and D Co. Cheney Ravine. Only Btry. Monja remained and it certainly was never taken].

From what I hear Malinta tunnel is chock full of little yellow men, food and enough ammo to blow the island. That seems to be the  Problem — whether to let them blow us up or us to blow them or what?

Anyway things are much more quiet. They’ve been evacuating the wounded and dead this morning this morning. The latest Nip dead is 1823. Our company’s casualties to date are 31 hospitalized and 3 killed. It is now 1000 hour, resume this evening.



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

22 February 1945



22 FEB.

The plan went through yesterday. The Cos. Circling from north, south, and center to the western point of the island. Some resistance was met; not very much. There was about twenty more caves and tunnels closed up. It’s a rough go — you have to go into every one and the close it up with demolitions or the Nips go back in. We’ve found out that if you close up a tunnel without completely blocking it, when you come back, its reoccupied. There can’t be very much left on this end.

[John and I could not remember one single cave or tunnel in the D and F Co, areas that was sealed — this included dirt caves and cement lined tunnels. Don was sick much of the time and didn’t know about E Co.. I’ll comment more about this in another writing].

We found evidence where the Japs stripped and swan to Bataan. The PT boats have picked off quiet a few. Our battalion is pulling the same mission today—sweeping the western end of the island. The same interdictory firing was kept up last night by mortars and howitzers and we had the same perimeter with same results. Most of the activity is at Malinta Tunnel. I don’t think that anyway yet has been devised of the final disposition of that immense hole. It’s being bombed by P-47’s, howitzers,--there’s  machine guns set up at the entrance—they’ve even yelled at them to come surrender. Something’ll happen there today. We have bulldozer up here now that’s cleared a cut strip on the parade ground—there’s a rumor that some general is coming in on it, in a cub no less. Almost all the chutes are gathered up from the field.

            The companies are pushing thru according to yesterday’s schedule “E” Co. has closed up some more tunnels with not much opposition. The report from “F” Co. came in a little while ago; they ran into some stiff machine gun fire opposition and had three killed and two wounded . One of those killed was Lt. MacKenzie of this company. [Four were killed: Mikel, Yocum, Narrow, and MacKenzie]. One other was hit by buckshot [birdshot] all over his face and chest.

[Stanley Maciborski walked past the small corrugated metal building on the south side was on the north side in the dry stream looking at a door, and I stepped up out of the bed to examine the building. The shooter was against the west side in a few bushes. As Maciborski passed he shot him in the face. It looked like the blast tore the side of his face off;  however, he returned to duty at Negros, scarred but not really bad. How did it miss his eye? Usually a machine gun tripped an ambush, but this time the shotgun was the first to fire].

This may be an isolated group! but, then, they may be pouring out of caves because they are afraid of being sealed up. [No. They poured out of the big cave because of the flame throwers. We counted about seventy dead here many running out aflame, and I am sure some did not get to the entrance where we could count them.] A cub landed on the parade ground this morning. Just heard that another officer from “E” Co. was wounded — this battalion is mighty short of officers now.



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

23 February 1945



The remainder of the evening passed by uneventfully but for the usual artillery fire. The same perimeter was set up. A battery of 75’s was set up in the parade ground firing in the direction of Malinta Tunnel.

Our 2nd Bn is getting new sectors to cover. “E” Co.” this morning is thru from sweeping Searchlight to Breakwater Points. [?]

The 1st & 3rd Bn are to sweep thru the narrow end of the island. There’s a rumor that the 503 will take over the  job of cleaning out the Malinta Tunnel. This morning there are tractors and cranes working on the parade ground. P-47’s are again hammering at the Malinta Tunnel.



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

24 February 1945



“E Co” ran into all the action yesterday. They got over 100 in some tough fighting — just smoking them out of tunnels with grenades and bazookas. The cost was two killed and three wounded.

[Our own battalion HQ Co. doesn’t even know what happened. They cannot even report the number KIA. They are too fixated with regimental and battalion staff reports to realize what is happening. The Japs in Malinta Tunnel had been killed in the great explosion several nights earlier. This is an excellent example of the staffs forting up and depending upon hearsay.]

Our battalion otherwise was inactive. We had the same perimeter last night, with the 75’s and mortars banging away all night — bless ‘em. This morning the mortar platoon laid down a 25 minute barrage on the ravine between on the ravine between Wheeler and Rock Point. [Cheney or Grubbs?]

Today we are able to send out mail. Coveralls are available for salvage. I wish they’d hand them out so we could peel ours off our skin. [Many of us,  specifically those not in the MacArthur honor guard detail who were allowed to draw fresh uniforms, left in the same fatigues we wore on the jump — fithy, salt encrusted, and reduced to rags].



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

25 February 1945



The biggest thing that happened yesterday was “D” Co.’s mission down near Wheeler Pt. [This was the attack upon Battery Monja]. They really ran into trouble — the Japs were in a cave at the water’s edge and there was no way of getting at ‘em. They had sniper positions and couldn’t be picked off. They had two killed [ The correct number is four]  and I don’t the amount wounded.

The navy shelled some of the caves but I don’t know how successful they were. “D” Company had to be evacuated by barge [LCM] we’re getting swell co-operation from the navy [Army LCM’s].

The 1st Bn is pushing down toward the east end of the island reached the airstrip. I heard that they ran into quite a few Nips and have rolled up a good score. There should be more air and naval support today. The howitzers (75) and mortars have been going since yesterday evening.

This morning some Japs were seen  trying to swim the channel to Bataan — P-47’s spotted them and came down for a strafing. They were out of range for the small arms from the shore. We were dropped some mail this morning — the second time since we’re here. The afternoon was spent listening to the howitzers lay down fire in front of the 1st Bn., somewhere around Monkey Pt. The same perimeter was set up and there was firing all night — our mortars covering the ravines in the west and our howitzers firing all night to the east.



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

26 February 1945



Aside from our navy weapons firing, it was a quiet night. There was no activity this morning. We were called on to put in recommendations for awards  and we turned in [illegible] so far — there’s more we have to get.

A Jap prisoner into Reg’t CP — while being questioned he attacked the interpreter with the following results — he got two butt strokes and a kick in the head — no more Jap.

Around noon or little earlier, we heard of an explosion down near Monkey Point that wiped out a great deal of 1st Bn. This afternoon we see (now) trucks rolling in with the wounded and dead. Already over a hundred dead have been counted and many remain yet. “A” and “C” were just about done for. [1st Bn HHQ Co and “A” Co] were just about done  for. The story that we’ve heard was that a tank, on the hill near Monkey Point fired into a tunnel and set off the explosion that threw rocks as far as two miles. The count of dead Japs on the island was over 3000  this morning.



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

27 February 1945





2d Bn HQ Company Journal

28 February 1945



The rest of the day of the 26th was spent in evacuating the dead and  wounded from Monkey Pt.

 Yesterday we got  account of a count partial of the casualties of the explosion. There were known to be over 200 of which over 50 were dead — an accurate report is not yet available. We had a few patrols out yesterday but thy didn’t run into much — 10 Nips were accounted for.

A C-47 flew over yesterday spraying the island with fly repellant and, lo and behold, the flies were repelled — an extremely successful mission. This same pilot spotting a patrol of “D” Co. and mistaking them for Japs, opened up with a Tommy gun wounding one. I understand he was hauled up before a general for that feat

[Only after we returned to Mindoro, did we learn this, further establishing that the journal was written retrospectively from hastily scribbled notes].

Our 81 mortars were given credit for 6 Japs during the barrage in the night of the 26th. Our perimeters were pulled in a little tighter last night due to the fact that the movement of the 1st Bn came here on Topside and took in part of the perimeter.

Each company has picked 12 men for a guard for Gen MacArthur who is supposed to come Friday. RSu called for equipment shortage today. Wonder what that would be for? There's a rumor around that the unit will get a Presidential citation for this mission. Everyone is anxiously awaiting the announcement of a surprise to be made by Col. Jones after Gen. MacArthur’s visit. Who knows, maybe it’s another mission. The count on dead Nips is over — four thousand – for the 2nd Bn over 900 [B.S.]



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

1 March 1945





2d Bn HQ Company Journal

2 March 1945





2d Bn HQ Company Journal

3 March 1945



The past two days have been uneventful. There have been the usual duties as around any place after a campaign — everyone — trying to rest up. Some little patrols have gone out without much results.

The air corps has given Caballo Island a going over — it’s estimate that there are over 500 Nips on Caballo.

Yesterday, Gens. MacArthur, Kruger, Kenney, Hall, and numerous others were here. They inspected the island and were present at a ceremony of the flag raising on the parade ground. General Mac big [can’t decipher next two words] compliments for outfit (saying he was citing it) and presented Col. Jones with the D.S.C. We hear that we’re to move out in four days back to the place we came from.



2d Bn HQ Company Journal

4 March 1945





2d Bn HQ Company Journal

5 March 1945



Nothing has happened of any importance this evening. The greatest thing was an issue of beer per man yesterday.

[Neither Lieutenants Lindgren or Calhoun, in "D" and "F" Companies,  as well as anybody else has any remembrance of this. Beer issues were so rare that they were not difficult to forget. The authors believe the beer was consumed by those in the big barracks.]

 Small patrols have been going out and get a few Nips killed. Two or three boys have been injured while out souvenir hunting. On the morning of the 6th a regt’l. detail is going to Bataan to dedicate the cemetery.

[The cemetery was at established at Mariveles, and post-war was moved to Ft. Bonifacio in Manila.]

The flies are thicker than before (illegible)— more spraying.

[The eggs had hatched out following the first spraying.]

We’re still on 10-in-1 rations — the water is plentiful. We leave the island on the 8th. The Co. has already submitted shipping registers.




2d Bn HQ Company Journal

6 March 1945




2d Bn HQ Company Journal

7 March 1945





2d Bn HQ Company Journal

from 8 March - 1 August 1945


8 MAR 45 At 0730 moved from 59 CA brks to beach by trucks. Loaded on LCI 966 at 1500 convoy weighed anchor 1600 hr Manila Bay.
9 MAR45  Traveled by LCI 150 ML. Landed on Blue Beach Mindoro Is. at 1400. Set up at old camp site on Bugsanga River.
31 MAR 45 Alerted for mission.
7 APR 45 Left camp by truck to San Jose Air Strip. Emplaned 0730. 0730. Took off and took off and flew 150 mi to Iloilo, Panay. Moved 6 mi. by trucks todocks. Left by LCI 50 mi and landed Pulupandan, Negros, Is.
8 APR 45  Moved to Napila, Negros by truck.
10 MAY 45 Moved from Napila to Mercia.
8 JUN 45 Moved to Conception.
17 JUN 45 Moved from Conception to Talisay. Negros. IS.
 9 JUL  45  Co. moved by truck to Fabrica, Negros, Island, Moved into Insular Lumber Mill building.
11 JUL 45 Co. moved by train from Fabrica 24 mi to Dinay Bridge. Set up perimeter.  LMG Plts. Attached to rifle cos.
24 JUL 45 Co. Hq.  81mm plat. Moved from Dinay Bridge 6 mi. to Boogan Bridge RR  Ech moved Er Fabrica to Boogan Bridge.
1 AUG Co, moved by train 6 mi. from Boogan Bridge to Maliposek.





The 503d PRCT Heritage Battalion  and the The Corregidor Historic Society rely upon donations from like-minded individuals with a commitment to the volunteer spirit. 

Join us, and make sure we're here the next time you are.

Editorial Heritage Bn. Policy
Board Members

Copyright ©, The Corregidor Historic Society, 1999-2009 - All Rights Reserved
Last Updated: 06-12-09