CLICK FOR DETAIL Play Taps - CD Rom only


Play Taps - CD Rom Only


Emory N. BALL

2nd Lieut 'E' Company. 

K.I.A., Wheeler Pt. - 23 February 1945


Ball was killed along the road towards the tunnel entrance behind Battery Monja. With his advanced elements well forward of Hill's position and heavily engaged with the Japanese who were rushing out of the caves in groups, Roscoe Corder was bringing more men forward to lie on the road, seeking what shelter they could find. They were also under heavy rifle fire and, possibly, machine gun fire by now. Corder and Ball were still behind the dirt pile close enough to touch each other. Corder moved a little to the left, and Ball raised up to look at the entrance. Immediately, he was shot in the chest. Corder saw the dust fly from the back of Ball's fatigues where the bullet exited. Ball fell beside Corder. Doc Bradford, who had come forward to Corder’s position, examined Ball, looked first at the entry wound in the chest and, Corder says, "slapped a piece of tape over it." He turned Ball over, examined the exit wound, and "slapped a piece of tape over it." Shortly, Ball looked up at his friend and, to quote Corder, "He looked me in the eye.., and died."

Bill Calhoun


Emery was the 2nd Lieut for "E" Co's Mortar Platoon.  The platoon was left on topside for some unknown reason when the rifle platoons attacked Battery Monja. Emery went along when he didn't need to.  I did not see him hit but Roscoe Corder told me that Ball, for some reason, stood up and was hit in the chest. He slipped over the side of the road and slid down the steep slope. The next day Corder took a detail down for his body but it could not be found.

Hill told me that Lt. Emory Ball had followed the 2nd Platoon along the road (towards Btty. Monja) and had been firing on the tunnel entrances along with the enlisted men from the platoon. I don't know what Ball was doing there since his Mortar platoon had remained at topside. As Hill watched, Ball stood up and caught several round in the chest and stomach. Ball was dead before he hit the ground. 

Don Abbott


Ball was one of two troopers killed in a which erupted near the mouth of Cheney ravine.  At dusk the troopers of Company E dug in for the night,  having failed to retrieve the bodies of their two fallen comrades because of the intensity of enemy fire.  The following morning patrols into the previous evening’s battle area discovered that the bodies of 2d Lt. Emory N. Ball  and Pvt  Jandro  were gone. They could only surmise that the Japanese had carted away the American corpses along with their own dead during the night. Whether the dead troopers were taken to a cave for burial or to the sea for the high tide to carry them away remains unknown.

Bennett M. Guthrie 





The 503d PRCT Heritage Battalion is privately supported through membership fees, PX Sales and donations made by like-minded private individuals who believe in the 503d Lineage and Heritage.

Support us.  Make sure we're here the next time you are.

Editorial Policy►
Board Members►


Copyright , The Corregidor Historic Society - All Rights Reserved
Last Updated: 09-04-10