The Army Engineering
tunnel is located near the islands Power Plant at the North end where Bottomside and
Middleside meet. As obvious as it is on the Army survey charts, none of the islanders were
able to locate the entrance to this tunnel up to 1988. A few years ago, though, a small 55
foot long tunnel was re-located right across the street from and only 25 yards southeast
of the Power Plant buildings. Some people believe that the back wall of this cavern is an
emergency block put up by the Corregidor garrison just prior to the surrender
in May of 1942.
Although local historians are convinced that there
should be many items concealed within this tunnel system, such as machinery, one of the
islands original trolleys, and one of General MacArthurs personal automobiles, this
author could not confirm the hard research to back it up.
The so-called emergency block was not evident upon
inspection, but appeared rather to be just an uncompleted section, with drill holes but no
continuation of the system. So much for this legendary stash of equipment!